Free Speech and Political Correctness
A tricky one, isn't it? (Did I say 'tit'? drat...) It's a broad topic, but still, here are some points it could or couldn't include:
- The right to freedom of speech and expression.
- The Enlightenment and the concept of free thought.
- Free speech and the right to privacy.
- Dissent and truth.
- Taboo in social norm and religion.
- Censorship as a political tool.
- State secrets and prevention of attention.
- Media transparency.
- Self-censorship and creative censorship.
- Limitations to the freedom of speech.
- Academic freedom and scientific freedom.
- The internet and the information society.
- Internet censorship.
- Freedom of thought in democracy and in totalitarian society.
- Hate speech, racism, homophobia, hate crime.
- Laws against Holocaust denial.
- Controversial episodes concerning free speech.
- Whistleblowing and investigative journalism.
- Right to pornography.
- Freenet, Hacktivismo, Wikileaks and information activism.
- Political correctness: the evolution of language.
- Politicization of science.
- Politically correct euphemisms.
- Symbolic speech and speech code.
- Dictatorship of the majority opinion, heckler's veto.
And here's the poll for June:
What should be the next monthly topic?
Nationalism & Chauvinism, Patriotism & Jingoism
War & Peace, Military & Diplomacy
Ethics & Morality, Family & Sexuality
Debt & Budget, Stimulus & Austerity
Poverty & Wealth, Charity & Welfare
Honor & Treason, Alliances & Backstabbing
Tradition & Innovation In Modern Culture
Future Scenarios for World Development
(Feel free to suggest more topics).